Tuesday, September 20th
UN Headquarters Dag Hammerskjold Plaza 47th & 1st Ave.
As the United Nations brings together the world’s top politicians in New York for its annual meeting of the General Assembly, the world’s most powerful countries (“the G8”) will meet with leaders of Arab States to discuss and plan the future of the region. Freedom Square will be at their doorstep. We will bring together the amazing struggles of the past year from across the Middle East and North Africa and stand united to remind these leaders that justice, freedom and self-determination must be at the top of the agenda.
In solidarity with the democratic struggles throughout the Middle East and North Africa and their demands for political, economic, social, and cultural rights, we call for:
- The G8 to stop military and financial aid to dictatorial and occupier regimes
- An end to foreign exploitation of the region’s economic and natural resources
- A return of all frozen assets to the people and the cancellation of all foreign debt
- An end to foreign interference not requested or led by the people that does not serve their interests
- The right to self-determination for ALL the people of the region, including women, sexual, religions and ethnic minorities
6:30-7:30 Speak out, Music, Spoken Word,
freedomsquarenyc [at] gmail.com
Endorsed by: Al-Awda NY, Iran Forum-NY, January 25th Solidarity for Democracy Network, Raha: Iranian Feminist Collective, Syrian Americans for Democracy, Syria First Coalition, Where Is My Vote-NY, UASDI (Union for Advancement of Secular Democracy for Iran,) Yemeni-American Coalition for Change